Sunday, April 7, 2013

Texas Chili Parlor

The first stop on our list was back in January- we went to the Texas Chili Parlor, which I had been DYING to try for the past year. Finally the Texas weather got cold enough when our schedules weren't busy (which was always the problem in the Fall semester), and Drew and I, along with my roommate Maria, headed on over there for lunch.

First of all, it was only a 15 minute or so walk from the UT campus, which didn't bother me, since we were about to eat anyway (in my mind it evens each other out!). We got there and there was about a 10 minute wait- it was Friday around lunch time. We got in and I was immediately digging the atmosphere- the walls were cluttered with all kinds of memorabilia, the lighting was dimmed a bit, there was a bar towards the front of the store, and the waiters were talking to their tables like they were old friends. It was all very kitschy and familiar, and I loved it.

Now for starters, you have GOT to get their bottomless chips and salsa- it's probably some of the best salsa I've ever had. For $2.50, you have absolutely no excuse to NOT get them. Just do it. Don't question me on this.

Now if you like chunky chili, I think this is the place for you. They have 3 spiciness levels of their chili. Drew, Maria, and I all got the mild (X) chili, and it was pretty tasty. I'd probably get the Spicy (XX) chili next time...I need a little spice in my life! However, there were large chunks of meat in my chili- which I realize is weird to say since chili is literally just a bowl of chunks of meat, more or less. But these chunks were a little tough to chew, and that's not really what I like in my chili. But hey, to each her own.

I wish I had started this blog earlier like I was planning, because I'm having a bit of trouble remembering every little detail. But (to my recollection) I don't think this chili had beans in it- which is always a plus in my book!

So in the end, I was able to get a drink, some AMAZING chips and salsa, and a bowl of beanless(?) chili for a total of around $10. Which, let's face it- is awesome.

All in all, I'd give this place a 3.5/5, but hey, who am I to judge? If you're in the mood for some chili, check them out and see for yourself!

Texas Chili Parlor



No comments:

Post a Comment